Matte paintings can be used to extend a location and create a world that otherwise would not exist.
For my latest tutorial I decided to try my hand at creating a landscape once again. You can find my previous attempt (with breakdown) here. After beginning a replay of Rise of the Tomb Raider, I was inspired by the environments and set pieces featured in the narrative. Although the above video isn’t a full tutorial, I go over some important points that can be applied to any matte painting you create:
- The importance of planning what your scene will look like, and finding appropriate imagery
- Matching lighting between live action and the terrain
- Splitting imagery to fake depth
- Maintaining realistic 3D camera movement
- Technique for creating a dolly zoom